Telecommute Jobs

Saturday, November 08, 2008

Meals Under $6.00

I've been trying to be very frugal during the past few months. Not having a job for awhile really wiped me out. One thing I've tried to do is make meals under $8.00. I know it's really hard to do, but it can be done. It's no easy task with teenage boys.

The secret for me has been to buy ingredients that will last for a few meals. Veggies are good for this. Beans, rice, home made biscuits. etc. I feel like I'm living in the 19th century sometimes. Well, except for the electrical appliances. Potatoes are also a great source of a cheap food. When you see the grocery bill it might seem like the food costs a lot, but trust me.

The hard part is getting the kids used to eating in this way. They're used to take out, pizza, frozen dinners, and junk. They grew up on that sort of thing. What I've done is just not made it an option to have the other foods. I've cut down soda purchases considerably and I no longer order pizza. If I do manage to get a pizza I will get one from Papa Murhpy's. You can't go wrong with their delicious food and it's a lot cheaper than delivery.

I'll post recipes when I make them if they turn out any good. My chicken pot pie recipe turned out pretty good except it didn't exactly feed the family so next time I'll have to make two.

$3.00 - Chicken breast, cubed (on sale)
$1.00 - Chicken gravy (can)
$0.60 appx - Chopped carrots, celery, onion, potato
$1.25 Deep dish pie shell (you can make these on your own for cheaper if you want.)

Cooked chicken to make sure it wasn't lethal if the pot pie didn't cook all the way through. Pour gravy into frozen pie shell. Dump chicken and chopped veggies. If the gravy is premade you don't even need a lot of spices.

Now, I had put hashbrowns on top thinking that they might turn out good, but they were kind of icky tasting until I browned them separately. I'm not sure what to do about the top yet. Maybe cook the hashbrowns first?
Post a Comment