Telecommute Jobs

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Northern California Beaches

Listening to: Boys Don't Cry by The Cure

Many of you think that living in California is always hot and sunny. Well, it simply isn't true. I love the Northern California beaches because they're not hot and sticky like some of the others in the southern part of the state.

Where I'm from the beaches are usually cold and foggy. The fog rolls in through the summer and it's always windy. The water is cold, maybe around 60 to 66 degrees. It's not the place to plop down in a bikini and get a tan.

It is, however, home to me. I love going out to the beach with a blanket, firewood, a ton of candle wax, matches, hotdogs and marshmallows, and other goodies. Making fires is kind of hard because of the spray, fog, and wind but once you have it going it's golden. We would melt the wax in a pot and then pour it into holes in the sand to make sand candles. It was a lot of fun.

Then as an adult, my friends and I would go out to the beach for small parties. It wasn't a fun trip though because the path out there is a big, windy road where you think you'll fall over the edge if you drive too fast. Scary.

We'd get together and stay until midnight or so. You couldn't stay too late because you never knew when the tide was going to be too high and that's just too dangerous. Plus, my beautiful beaches had sharks which made it hard to do anything. The undertow was too great to just stand there, although it feels really good pulling under your feet when you're standing there in the more shallow areas.

I love to sit back and listen to tapes of the ocean and seagulls because it brings me back home.

I'd go back in a second if I could.
Post a Comment