Telecommute Jobs

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Racism - It's a Bad Thing

My blogger friend brought up a great point in a blog which brought up some nags about what my children have learned from friends at school.

I grew up in Northern California where people of all races live. The specific area I grew up in was predominately white, but the surrounding areas were not so when you get into the higher grades you blend in with others. I don't remember anyone really being racist when I was in high school. I don't even remember it in elementary school. People were people. Maybe it's the way my mother taught me and I just didn't listen to others. I don't know.

So it was a horrid surprise one day when one of my children came home and said something about Jewish people. I was in total shock because I've always taught them to respect others. I had to sit him down and explain a few things again.

Then a few weeks later my younger one came home and said something about "darker" people. I had to sit him down and explain a few things, again.

These were racist comments they learned from people at school. I wish this area would grow up a little bit and realize that people are people no matter what color, religion, gender, etc. If most of the people here who claim to be Christian really acted like it then they wouldn't be saying the things they do.

It didn't help having terrorists doing the terrible things they do to citizens and when I hear my kids says things about people in other countries because of things they've heard in school I then have to explain that it is the individual person that causes the problem and when groups of these people get together all hell breaks loose. I have to explain that certain types of government that hinder their people's efforts are because of the governments and not the people and they shouldn't be angry at the people who are repressed by their so-called leaders.

People just don't realize how good they have it living here, yet they continue to beat down their fellow Americans and the people of nations who have little control over what their leaders do. I just want my kids to think differently than others.

Okay, I'm done rambling. :-)
Post a Comment